Thursday, October 21, 2010

My Hair is Beautiful, and Yours is, Too


I know these videos are getting posted everywhere, but I figure the more these images are out there, the more young girls are likely to view and hear some messages that are long overdue
The first is a song sung by the newest muppet on Sesame Street, and while not exactly appropriate for a tween’s interest spectrum, I believe that the message is important, especially for young girls reaching their tween years when image becomes more important.  I wish this muppet (she doesn’t seem to have a name yet) had been around when I was little.  Also, I agree with the comment made by an individual in the comment section of the Tell Me More blog entry “The Best Week Ever for Black Girls” on NPR.org that both videos are not just affirming to young Black girls, but girls of every background, the more empowered we feel as a gender the more positive vibes we can send to others in order to promote an overall well being that the world desperately needs right now.
I feel a little more mixed about Willow Smith’s video “Whip My Hair”.  I doubt she would have had this opportunity if she were not the daughter of Will and Jada Pinkett-Smith, and it makes me a little nervous that someone so young is thrust out into the lime light, but with that said, is she not fabulous?  She looks like she’s having a great time being dressed up, singing and busting moves.  The song is a cheeky response to our culture’s norms of beauty.  She may be 9, but I have to admit, I felt affirmed after watching this video.

The first video I couldn’t help but post, but I think the second one is appropriate for young tweens.    

No comments:

Post a Comment