Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Because Deep Down Inside, There’s Some Pest in all of Us . . .

Ramona and Beezus is like a Michel Gondry movie for kids. The visual whimsy of Ramona’s imagination is represented through special effects that transport the viewer to a parallel universe, far far away from reality. When I saw how the world looked to Ramona, it helped me realize why more often times than not, the ordinary of the everyday life is actually quite extraordinary.


Ramona And Beezus Trailer

Throughout the film, Ramona navigates how she fits in at school and at home while still remaining true to herself, no matter how quirky she may appear to others. She needs to survive the 3rd grade, help her family save their house, be a good little sister and a loving big sister, and help her aunt rekindle an old love. A lot to ask of one girl, but Ramona, as always, has a plan. It’s the way she goes about helping everyone that makes the story interesting.

I haven’t read the Ramona books since I was Ramona’s age, but her stories have always remained dear to my heart. It was extremely fun to vaguely know what was going to happen in certain instances of the movie based on my knowledge of the books (the hard boiled egg, anyone?). There are differences from the book for the movies sake (Beezus and Henry, what?!), but I think overall this film is a nice addition to the canon of Ramona and will encourage people who have not read the series to pick it up, or is a great movie for anyone who has read and enjoyed the books.

Age wise, my five year old cousin enjoyed the film, but I think that my 12 year old cousin and I, both of us fans of the series, got the most out of the experience.



Here are Beverly Cleary’s thoughts on turning 94 and the opening of the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment