Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Review: The Confessions of Georgia Nicholson Series

The Confessions of Georgia Nicholson series by Louise Rennison, 2000 to present day.  Harper Teen.

Fourteen year old Georgia Nicholson has it tough.  Her parents, though old and extremely not cool, are still very much in love and very much interested in her life, her little sister seems to be in need of constant attention, or else something bad may happen to one of Georgia’s belongings, and then there’s Angus the cat, who is the most unusual cat Georgia and those around her have met, and this is just the people and animal living in her house.  This does not include the Ace Gang, Robbie the Sex God, Masimo and Dave the Laugh. 

The books are as hilarious as the titles throughout the series which includes, Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging, On the Bright Side, I'm Now the Girlfriend of a Sex God, Knocked Out by My Nunga-Nungas, Dancing In My Nuddy Pants, Away Laughing on a Fast Camel, Then He Ate My Boy Entrancers, Startled by His Furry Shorts, Love is a Many Trousered Thing, Stop in the Name of Pants and the upcoming Are These My Basoomas I See Before Me?.  I think it’s very cool that Georgia and all the characters in the book are based on real life people from Rennison’s life.  When I read about the books’ heavy borrowing from real life in an interview Rennison gave, it makes sense because there are some situations in this series that would be very hard to make up. 
I’m partial to the covers with the legs rather than the new covers with photographic images.  The British slag and causal conversation style keeps the books fast paced and I’m always surprised how little time has passed (usually a few months) by the time Georgia is done with her story for the time being.

This series is great for girls ages 12-14 (even though I started reading the series at the end of high school and loved it) who are growing a little to old for the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series, or who just want something to read while they wait for The Ugly Truth since it is also written in journal form, similar to the Princess Diaries series by Meg Cabot.  


No comments:

Post a Comment