Saturday, December 11, 2010

How Would You Feel

Cyber bullying was in the news again a few months back.  In the light of extremely tragic events, it was encouraging to see messages from celebrities like Ellen De Generes and Chris Colfer to tweens and teens telling them that life does get better once you get older and have more choices about how to control your environment.

I saw these Ad Council PSAs on a blog I enjoy to read, and thought the message of dealing with the use of the word gay as a put down was a good one to consider.  Sometimes I think it's good to have a planned response to certain situations in the library that are unfortunately bound to come up.  This includes cursing, rowdiness and the putting down of those different from you.  With a planned response, I feel that I can put a fast stop to the situation at hand, giving me time to access the people involved and the reasons for way the situation is taking place.  In my personal experience, it's always effective to bring up what a tween's mother might think about the situation, no one likes embarrassing their mom.



No comments:

Post a Comment