Friday, December 10, 2010

Review: Little Women



Little Women by Louisa May Alcott.  Roberts Brothers.  1868, 1869.

As we have officially come into Christmas season, I think Little Women is an appropriate title to bring up.  The way the March family gets ready for Christmas, or what they think at first will be their lack of a Christmas without any presents is a great excuse to cuddle up with a blanket on a wintry night.

Something that I think is so appealing about the March sisters in Little Women is the fact that each sister has a distinct personality that is appropriate to her family order.  Meg the beauty, Jo the tomboy, Beth the shy one, and Amy the snobby baby.  Their different personalities allow four different stories to be told throughout the novel.  The reader gets to be empathic to each character during the telling of her story, and thus get four different experiences from the March family.

I've noticed that the classics like Louisa May Alcott's works and other classic books like The Secret Garden are not as popular among tweens at the library and tweens I'm related to as I feel these titles were when I was a tween, and even a few years back.  I'm not sure if I'm being old fashioned and imagining things, but I also feel like there wasn't the explosion that is the current state of YA literature available to tweens.  Also, I wonder if it has anything to do with the current concentration in fantasy and paranormal that makes realistic fiction not as popular as it was a few years ago.

Recommended for younger tweens who really like to read (3rd to 4th grade) up to older tweens who just haven't picked it up yet.
ATOS Book Level: 7.9
AP Points: 33.0

No comments:

Post a Comment