Friday, December 3, 2010

Lions and Dinosaurs and Sharks, Oi Vey!

Encyclopedia Prehistorica series (DinosaursMega-Beasts; Sharks and Other Sea Monsters) by Robert Sabuda and Matthew Reinhart.  Candlewick.  2006.



Pop-up books are a major reason why printed text is still relevant.  I mean, my blog can do many things, play music, link to other websites, show film footage, let anyone with a computer and internet connection know my thoughts about tween literature, but it cannot do what the image above demonstrates, not yet at least.  Really, is there anything better than the sound of cardboard scratching together to create a paper sculpture when you open the page of a pop-up book?  A lot of tweens who come into the Children's Room absolutely love it.  It's the one time I hear older tween squeal with delight, that and when they get to watch a Justin Bieber video after a long day at school.


The first time a couple of sixth graders asked me about our pop-up book collection I was pleasantly surprised and a little confused.  Weren't pop-up books for little kids?  After handing over one of the Enclopedia Prehistoria books and watching these tweens go off to a corner to entertain themselves with 3D illustrations of seemingly mythical creatures that happen to actually be real (much better than the second grader who wanted books on dragons the other day; when I showed him the dragon section explained that he wanted photographs of dragons, and was not satisfied with the dinosaur section or my status as a nonbeliever) I realized that my concept of pop-up books being for small children was messed up.  Little kids rip up pop-up books.  Tweens appreciate the tangible object of something that took time and energy and is tucked away under a book cover like a secret.


I love the discreet covers for the books in this series, like field journals from the Victorian era.  It's a way for a tween to tote around their own personal natural history museum.


Appropriate for tweens of all ages.
Not listed on the AR website.  

No comments:

Post a Comment